Are Your Toenails Ready for Summer?
Over the winter our feet can take a battering. More often than not they are covered up by thick socks inside shoes or slippers and we only set them free when we get ready for bed in the evening. All this can lead to the development of conditions such as onychomycosis, more commonly known as a toenail fungal infection.
Here are some quick facts and figures about the condition that you may not be aware of:
- Onychomycosis is the most common infection that you get with nails and accounts for half of nail problems – around 1 in 10 of us will suffer from it at some point.
- If you have it you may notice that your nail becomes thickened and discoloured and, if left untreated, may start to get brittle.
- Whilst there is usually no pain involved, the condition is persistent and can cause embarrassment about showing your feet in public.
- The main cause of fungal toenails in the west are dermatophytes such as trichophyton rubrum, a fungi that likes to colonize areas of dead skin.
- The older you are the more susceptible you are to an infection and there is a greater prevalence in men than in women.
- It’s always a good idea to get a confirmed diagnosis of fungal toenail infection with a professional such as a chiropodist – almost half the cases are actually due to a simple nail deformity.
Treating a fungal nail infection
The good news is that fungal nail infection is treatable in the form of oral or topical medications. At Beauchamp Foot Care this spring we’re helping get your toenails ready for the summer with our special offer on treatment that is painless and promotes the return of healthy nail growth.
- First of all we’ll assess your toes to make sure you have in fact got a fungal nail infection and then come up with a comprehensive and effective course of action to help you get rid of it.
- This usually covers 4 treatments on site and includes advice on how to look after your nails to post procedure to decrease the possibility of reinfection.
- The procedures are carried out by our qualified and friendly team of chiropodists who will also be on hand to answer any of your questions.
Book a consultation
Beauchamp Foot Care Clinic is running a special offer to get your fungal nail problem treated for good. So if you’re fed up with having to hide your feet away and want to get rid of that embarrassing infection then contact us today for a full consultation and the chance to begin our treatment.
All information on this website is for general guidance only and is not intended as a substitute for the personal medical advice of health care professionals or your own doctor.